The 12-week Southwark GP Exercise Referral service has been designed to help inactive people that are struggling with their mental and physical health. It does this by encouraging them to get more physically active both within the programme and beyond their participation and they are supported in taking more control over their own health.
There are three levels of support available: Kickstart, Active Boost and Cardiactive. Each offers different levels of support depending on what help you need.
Cardiactive is the highest level of support and is for people who did the most help. This programme has been designed for people graduating from phase three cardiac rehab in the last 6 months, as well as those who have had a cardiological assessment or review in the last six months. This level includes:
- a specialist cardiac rehab programme designed especially for each patient.
- gym and specialist circuit sessions.
- access to motivational support from the team
- educational sessions and walks with other service users.
Patients must have at least one of these symptoms, conditions or one of these procedures:
- Atherosclerotic disease e.g. peripheral vascular disease (PVD)
- Coronary Artery Bypass Graft Surgery (GABG)
- Following arrhythmias and implantable device interventions (ICD, PPM, CRT)
- Myocardial infarction (MI)
- Stable angina
- Stable heart failure (HF) including chronic heart failure and cardiomyopathy
- Undergone a percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI)
- Valve replacement
Follow up will take place at 3, 6, 9 & 12 months.
What does the Programme involve?
For a 12-week period, clients will be encouraged to build up their weekly activity levels through attending sessions at the centre of their choice.
All clients will take part in an initial assessment at the beginning and a completion assessment end of their 12-week programme. Once they have completed the programme, clients will be encouraged to independently continue with regular physical activity and will be provided with information on local activity opportunities. On completion of the programme, all clients will be entitled to a reduced leisure centre membership.
Clients will be followed up at 9 months from start date on the programme and offered advice and support where needed by an administrator or exercise professional where possible.
Who is Eligible for the Service?
- all adults aged 18 and over
- residents of Southwark
- or registered with a Southwark GP
- People currently doing less than 150 minutes of exercise each week.
It’s also vital that they have no contra-indications to exercise and they must be clinically stable. Additionally, any patient with a cardiac condition can only be referred to the Cardiactive service.
Who can make an exercise referral?
- Practice Nurses
- Specialist Nurses e.g. Health Check Hub, Cardiac Nurses
- Specialist Cardiac Physiotherapists
- Cancer Rehabilitation Team (GSTT)
- Renal Rehabilitation Team
Referrals can be initiated by a mental health professional by telephone or letter to the patient’s GP whose authority is required, and who can then send a referral to the programme.