Part Time Role (30 hours per week). £20,000 – £25,000 pro rata
An exciting opportunity is available for an enthusiastic, dynamic, and motivated Health Trainer to support the integrated healthy lifestyle service in Devon and the smoking service in Bristol. Predominantly offering virtual support across both services, this role forms an integral part of the delivery, reaching into communities and supporting individuals to make and sustain behaviour changes to improve health and wellbeing
The key functions of the role are:
Health Trainers provide support and practical information to individuals to assist them in making healthier lifestyle choices. Working virtually, you will be promoting healthy lifestyles, encouraging healthier eating and increasing levels of physical activity, supporting individual to reduce their alcohol intake and delivering stop smoking interventions using a range of approaches and methods. This role will promote access into the service, identifying, supporting and empowering behaviour change. Ideally, you’ll have experience or qualifications in healthy lifestyles, but most importantly, you’ll be a natural and passionate motivator with excellent communication skills to engage with individuals on both a one to one basis.
This post will:
Support residents across Bristol and Devon to live healthier lives, you will work with individuals and partners to reduce health inequalities. You will deliver nationally recognised health intervention programmes whilst working as part of a multidisciplinary team. The post holder will contribute to the wider services achieving their targets and outcomes. There will be a requirement to work at least 1 evening per week.
We would like to hear from you if you have the following skills and experience:
- Have strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Possess a minimum of 1 year experience working in a health improvement service.
- Are experienced in using behaviour change models within a work context.
- Are flexible with good time management and planning skills
- Are interested in motivating and supporting both individuals virtually.
- Are proficient in using databases and keeping accurate client records
- Can raise public awareness and provision of consistent healthy lifestyle messaging, on issues relevant to the health of the community and in a multi-cultural setting.
To apply: For more information and to download the job description please visit our website at www.everyonehealth.co.uk
Closing date: 12 noon on Friday 22nd October
All offers are subject to enhanced DBS checks and satisfactory references.
We do reserve the right to close this advertisement early if we receive a high volume of suitable applications.
Health trainers help their clients to assess their lifestyles and wellbeing, set goals for improving their health, agree action-plans, and provide practical support and information that will help people to sustain their new health behaviours. Working as a health trainer in our services, you will be:
- helping people identify how their behaviours may be affecting their health
- supporting individuals to create a health plan to help make changes to improve their health
- coordinating other service elements and specialities (e.g. stop smoking service, weight management service) into one cohesive service for the individual
- helping individuals to become more knowledgeable about things that can affect their health and wellbeing
- signposting to other agencies and professionals
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Identify and engage with individuals from agreed target groups providing information to individuals about the relationship between behaviours and health, and promoting improvement in their health and wellbeing. Focusing on 4 key pathways, healthy weight, physical activity, alcohol reduction and stopping smoking.
- Support and motivate individuals, over around 6-8 virtual 1:1 sessions, to identify their health needs and assess the barriers that prevent them from making healthy choices, assisting individuals in learning how to make better health choices and support them in initiating and sustaining appropriate behavioural changes using their ‘personal health plan’ (PHP).
- Be accountable for the monitoring and achievement of service key performance indicators (KPIs) and other quality related targets.
- Keep accurate records and written reports, and ensure patient contact data is recorded in accordance with Everyone Health and Commissioner Policies, to ensure compliance with Information Governance GDPR and Data Protection in relation to client and patient information.
- Deliver outstanding patient care, demonstrating empathy, understanding, attention to detail, and a commitment to delivering a quality service.
- Keep abreast of the holistic range of services available in the community by developing links with service providers and keeping up-to-date with service changes and developments, in order to appropriately signpost individuals to the service then need when they need them
- Follow NCSCT standard treatment programme for delivery of smoking cessation interventions
1. SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Be able to plan and manage own time and activities around the needs of individuals in the community to respond effectively to referrals
- Ability to keep accurate records of activity to provide data and monitoring information
- Effective numeracy and literacy skills
- Emotionally sensitive and empathetic to members of the public who wish to improve their health, to be supportive and encouraging to people in difficult (sometimes frustrating) situations
- Value and be respectful of other people – regardless of background or circumstances
- Have strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Be flexible with good time management and planning skills
- Be interested in motivating and supporting both individuals
- In depth knowledge of local communities
- Knowledge of the challenges to achieving health improvement amongst local vulnerable and deprived communities
- Experience of working with and engaging individuals and groups of adults
- Experience of actively engaging with local communities
- Desirable – experience of health screening and delivering NHS health checks.
- Experience of using Microsoft programmes (Word and Excel)
- Experience of team working
- Experience of managing a personal workload or caseload
Essential: GCSE Maths and English to at least Grade C, or equivalent.
Desirable: Recognised Health Trainer qualifications e.g. City & Guilds Level 3 Certificate for Health Trainers, or equivalent, or Royal Institute of Public Health Level 2 Understanding Health Improvement or equivalent. If this is not held, the post holder will be supported in achieving these qualifications
5. SPECIAL CONDITIONS
- Highly motivated self-starter with resilience, determination and the ability to see jobs through to completion.
- Role incorporates evening work and delivery will be virtual from home or office setting
- Full UK Driving licence and access to a car for work- with ‘business purposes’ insurance.
- Evidence of a personal commitment to continuing professional development and to maintaining an up-to-date professional knowledge supporting the development of business within the company.
- This post involves working with vulnerable adults and as such the post holder will be required to apply for a disclosure of criminal records at an enhanced level (DBS).
Everyone Health Ltd is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of the adults, young people and children who use the services. All staff have a responsibility to report any identified concerns of abuse or exploitation through the appropriate route in line with the respective policies and procedures.