Part Time permanent Role (20 hours per week) £20,000-£25,000 pro rata
The key functions of the role are:
This role will contribute to the development, provision and coordination of all aspects of a Lifestyle service, integrating weight management, health improvement and behaviour change programmes. The role will be based in Fenland, and Peterborough. You will be assisting people to make health improvement goals and working with them to help them achieve these goals. In order to provide an outreach service you will be required to drive the company’s mobile clinic.
Ideally, you will have recognised Health Trainer qualifications but, most importantly, you’ll be a natural and passionate motivator, with excellent links to one or more of the local Eastern European populations, with excellent communication skills to engage with individuals on both a one to one and group basis, naturally building relationships within the local communities. Full training will be provided to the right candidate if needed.
The successful candidate will:
- Be passionate about reducing health inequalities for communities
- Be able to fluently speak at least one of the appropriate, Eastern European community languages
- Have experience and knowledge of benefits of a healthy lifestyle and managing key risk factors: healthy eating and increasing physical activity levels, smoking cessation and reducing alcohol consumption.
- Experience in delivering / advising on community based healthy eating and physical activity opportunities.
- Experience in empowering individuals and groups, to sustain behavioural change through an empathetic approach, Have strong time management, empathy, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Possess a minimum of 1 year experience working in community-based services or public health.
- Have experience of, or a strong interest in delivering NHS Health Checks.
- Be a pro-active individual who enjoys working at community events and can motivate and support individuals in community-based settings.
- Utilising Behaviour Change/Motivational Interviewing techniques and SMART goal setting.
Closing date: Thursday 14th October 2021
Interviews will take place on: Thursday 21st October 2021
All offers are subject to enhanced DBS checks and satisfactory references.
We do reserve the right to close this advertisement early if we receive a high volume of suitable applications.
Specialist Health Trainer Eastern European Communities
To increase access for migrant communities to the Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Integrated Lifestyle service by providing an outreach one-to-one Health Trainer service focused in the areas that have experienced the greatest influx of migrants from Eastern European countries i.e. Peterborough and Fenland. To integrate with the wider Lifestyle service and build on existing links with other services and organisations.
- Increase Eastern European migrant communities awareness of the Integrated Lifestyle service and the risks associated with an unhealthy lifestyle by delivering tailored health campaigns
- Embrace every contact opportunity to discuss the 4 lifestyle risk factors (diet, physical activity, tobacco and alcohol)
- Target lifestyle interventions to Eastern European migrants with increased risk factors.
- Develop work-based education/health and volunteer programmes for the Eastern European community, including developing a network of Eastern European health champions.
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Provide individual personal support for Eastern European migrants to improve key lifestyle behaviours (diet, smoking, and physical activity) and where appropriate signpost to other relevant specialist services.
- To be the main interface between the Integrated Lifestyle service and Eastern European community groups and organisations, ensuring shared learning, training and strong communication links.
- To deliver cultural awareness training to other colleagues within the Integrated Lifestyle service
- Ensure that Eastern European migrants have a sufficient profile amongst the wider Everyone Health team and that colleagues are routinely referring clients into the Eastern European Specialist Health Trainer service
- To work as an ‘Eastern European champion’ within the organisation providing advice, support and guidance to colleagues within the organisation
- To coordinate local health campaigns that are appropriately tailored to the Eastern European community, making use of social media and ensuring resources are translated and promoted
- To ensure that health messages messages are included, and easily accessible to Eastern Europeans, on the Everyone Health lifestyle service website and information is distributed through appropriate social media mechanisms.
- To drive the company mobile clinic across different locations
- To work with key local partners to engage individuals from Eastern European communities and to deliver alcohol prevention and early intervention work
- To distribute and develop healthy lifestyle literature and messages in a format that is easily received and accessible to the target audience (e.g. older people, translated literature for non-English speaking residents, easy read etc.)
- Be accountable for the monitoring and achievement of service key performance indicators (KPIs) and other quality related targets.
- Keep accurate records and written reports, and ensure patient contact data is recorded in accordance with Everyone Health and Commissioner Policies, to ensure compliance with Information Governance and Data Protection in relation to client and patient information.
- Deliver outstanding patient care, demonstrating empathy, understanding, attention to detail, and a commitment to delivering a quality service.
- Keep abreast of the holistic range of services available in the community by developing links with service providers and keeping up-to-date with service changes and developments, in order to appropriately signpost individuals to the service then need when they need them
1. SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Be able to plan and manage own time and activities around the needs of individuals in the community to respond effectively to referrals
- To be able to communicate in appropriate language i.e. Polish, Lithuanian, Latvian and to have the appropriate cultural awareness
- Ability to keep accurate records of activity to provide data and monitoring information
- Effective numeracy and literacy skills
- Emotionally sensitive and empathetic to members of the public who wish to improve their health, to be supportive and encouraging to people in difficult (sometimes frustrating) situations
- Value and be respectful of other people – regardless of background or circumstances
- Have strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Be flexible with good time management and planning skills
- Be interested in motivating and supporting both individuals and groups in community based settings, and in the home
- Knowledge of behaviour change and providing one-to-one lifestyle interventions
- In depth knowledge of local Eastern European communities
- Knowledge of the challenges to achieving health improvement amongst local vulnerable and deprived communities
- Providing one-to-one lifestyle interventions
- Experience of working with and engaging individuals and groups
- Experience of actively engaging with local communities
- Desirable – experience of health screening and delivering NHS health checks.
- Experience of using Microsoft programmes (Word and Excel)
- Experience of team working
- Experience of managing a personal workload or caseload
Essential: GCSE Maths and English to at least Grade C, or equivalent.
Desirable: Recognised Health Trainer qualifications e.g. City & Guilds Level 3 Certificate for Health Trainers, or equivalent, or Royal Society of Public Health Level 2 Understanding Health Improvement or equivalent. If these are not held, the post holder will be supported in achieving Everyone Health’s accredited behaviour change training during their first year in post.
5. SPECIAL CONDITIONS
- Highly motivated self-starter with resilience, determination and the ability to see jobs through to completion.
- Role incorporates evening / weekend working, with variable levels of travel across Cambridgeshire and Peterborough, working in a variety of settings including primary care and community centres.
- Full UK Driving licence and access to a car for work- with ‘business purposes’ insurance.
- Evidence of a personal commitment to continuing professional development and to maintaining an up-to-date professional knowledge supporting the development of business within the company.
- This post involves working with vulnerable adults and as such the post holder will be required to apply for a disclosure of criminal records at an enhanced level (DBS).
Everyone Health Ltd is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of the adults, young people and children who use the services. All staff have a responsibility to report any identified concerns of abuse or exploitation through the appropriate route in line with the respective policies and procedures.