Get through the week with this hearty and healthy vegetarian Shepherd’s Pie recipe!
Ingredients for mince:
- 2 small onions
- 500g Quorn mince or vegetarian mince of choice
- 100g red lentils
- 300 – 400g chopped carrots
- 300g chestnut mushrooms
- 600ml vegetable stock
- 2tbs of vegetable oil
- Salt, pepper and mixed herbs to taste
Ingredients for mash:
- 6 medium sized potatoes
- 200ml milk
- 2tbsp butter or low-fat spread
Method to prepare mince:
- To a large saucepan add vegetable oil, finely chopped onions and cook for 3-4 mins until softened and brown.
- Next add the vegetarian mince, red lentils and vegetables stock. Bring to the boil and cover, leave to simmer on a medium heat for 10-12 mins until the lentils have softened.
- Add the chopped carrots, mushrooms, sweetcorn and seasoning, allow to cook for a further 10 mins.
Method to prepare mash potatoes:
- Peel and chop the potatoes into small chunks then boil until softened.
- Drain and return to the saucepan, next add the butter and mash. Add the milk a little at a time until the mash forms a smooth texture.
Putting the pie together:
- Put the mince into an oven proof dish and cover with the mash potatoes, using a fork ripple the top and then bake in a preheated oven (180°C or gas mark 4) for 20-30 mins or until the top starts to brown.
- Leave to stand for 5 mins before serving.